As I already mentioned on another occasion, I have been looking for a coffee maker to take it to my English academy. As I said, once a week we meet there to meet and practice for a couple of hours what we have learned in class.
What we are looking for in a machine that is simple to operate, but can adapt to the tastes of each of the attendees. The truth is, sometimes, you miss a hot drink while chatting. Among the various models that I have investigated, are the best single-dose coffee machines on the market . Here is what I have found.
Top Rated single-dose coffee machines List
How much should I spend on my coffee pod machine?
Each of the coffee machines are different depending on the brand that handles them, so we can find many different prices that largely determine the quality of the machines they operate.
- Cheaper single-dose coffee machines (less than $ 60): these coffee machines fulfill the functions they promise and although their price is considerably more affordable, the quality or functions that they integrate may be compromised, be careful to choose one that is too cheap because it can Go out frog, I love to drink coffee at home in the morning and I usually choose models in the range of $70-$ 100 to get a coffee that does not envy anything to the best baristas.
- Better quality single-dose coffee machines (more than $ 60): its price in relation to others is higher, however the performance and quality are much better, achieving coffees with a much better flavor and most importantly making the coffee maker much more Durable, on Amazon you have tons of options that for a little more money you get a much better model.
How to choose the best coffee capsule machine on the market?
Choosing my single-dose coffee maker correctly will influence and determine the quality of the results in the preparation, in addition to doing it in the right place to obtain a complete product. Next, we will indicate some considerations:
- Infinity of brands: there are many brands that handle fairly extensive lines or ranges of single-dose coffee machines, inquire a little more deeply about their characteristics and benefits to choose the most appropriate and that suits you best.
- Its purpose: you must take into account the use that you are going to give to your coffee maker, although it is making coffee, many of them are aimed at uses of a more professional than domestic level, it is only a matter of considering which is the most convenient.
- Machine measurements: most of these coffee machines are quite small and transportable, however, there are many others of larger dimensions and coarser but innovative, just choose the one that gives you the most comfort.
Recommended products and opinions
1. Philips Senseo Quadrante – Two coffees in just 30 seconds
The first thing that catches the eye of the Senseo Quadrante is its particular design. That cube-shaped appearance makes it quite recognizable and unique among the coffee machines in its range.
Obviously, it is not the only thing that we should review about this apparatus. For starters, it is a very easy to use coffee maker , with just three buttons that will help us to operate it. One of them is the on-off switch, while the others will allow us to choose whether to prepare a cup or two for each use . In addition, thanks to its removable anti-drip tray , we can use cups the size we want.
The single doses used by the Quadrante are those of the Senseo brand . These have been manufactured together with Marcilla and have a wide variety of aromas and different intensities , so that we can choose our favorite coffee.
The single doses used by the Quadrante are those of the Senseo brand. These have been manufactured together with Marcilla and have a great variety of different aromas and intensities, so that we can choose our favorite coffee
The negative point that we can attribute to this coffee maker comes rather from the Senseo single-dose system. Until now it only offers us the possibility of preparing coffee by not marketing other drinks.
If you are two at home but do not want to give up the comfort of single-dose coffee machines, this can be a good solution. The Senseo Quadrante allows you to prepare two cups at once and everything in just 30 seconds. Impossible to be faster.
- Allows you to prepare two cups at the same time
- Automatic shutdown after 30 minutes of inactivity
- Supports all kinds of cups, no matter their size
- Its design makes it take up more space than other models
- Senseo only sells coffee pods
2. Philips Senseo Twist – Touch technology for our coffee machine
One of the main novelties that the Philips Senseo Twist presents compared to other models is its control panel . This is made up of touch buttons , which makes them very easy to use and, above all, very easy to clean.
Thanks to these buttons we will be able to choose a couple of important details when it comes to personalizing the drink to our liking. On the one hand, we find the option of selecting if we want a cup or two in each use. On the other hand, it allows us to choose the intensity and quantity of coffee we want.
Also in this panel we will be able to see other information, such as what the water level is or if we have to proceed to decalcify the machine or not. The water tank has a capacity of one liter , which should be enough for one six cups of coffee.
This Senseo pod machine takes just half a minute to prepare the drink. After that, and if we get confused, it will turn itself off after 30 minutes.
The negative point that we can name about this coffee maker is its water tank. Its capacity is one liter and, sometimes, it is too short, forcing us to recharge it.
This model adapts very well to those who are looking for a single-dose coffee machine with good benefits and high quality. Its touch control panel is a good innovation to make it easier to use. It comes in a wide range of colors to suit your kitchen.
- You can make two cups of coffee at once
- We can select the intensity we want
- It is really very easy to use. There is no chance of being wrong
- The water tank falls a little short
- It would be nice if Senseo commercialized more variety of products
3. Senseo Latte Duo HD785 5/6 0 – The best coffee shop in your home
The Senseo Latte Duo is already in the top range of coffee machines of this brand. From its design, to the included functionalities, they represent a step forward in terms of performance.
Without a doubt the one that stands out the most in this machine is the treatment it offers to milk . The so-called cappuccinatore function allows us to obtain various drinks based on that dairy and, in addition, automatically by simply pressing the corresponding button.
To use this function, we must introduce a tube in a milk jug that is responsible for foaming the liquid . Just by pressing the Cappuccino , Latte Macchiato or Caffe Latte button , coffee and milk will appear in our cup without us having to do anything else.
In addition, to wash that tube you just have to put it in a glass of water and press the activation button. It will be completely clean of dairy remains and ready for the next use.
Apart from this functionality, the machine has advances such as automatic shutdown or the possibility of preparing two cups with each use .
It may be a lot to ask, but since the coffee machine has the great system for preparing cappuccinos and lattes, it could include some kind of jug for milk.
If you want to go beyond simple espresso or coffee with milk, this model will offer you excellent possibilities. Its automatic system allows us to choose between several recipes prepared with milk: from a cappuccino to a coffee latte. And all with a very simple and comfortable operation.
- Your system for preparing drinks with milk
- We can make two cups in each use
- The touch panel: very simple and convenient to clean
- Could include a milk jug
- The liter of water that the tank admits is somewhat scarce
4. DeLonghi Nespresso Citiz & Milk – A premium design for your coffee maker
The design of this coffee maker is so striking and original that it managed to win the 2009 Reddot Design Award . Of course, it is somewhat more voluminous than other appliances from the same brand, but the result is worth it.
The DeLonghi Nespresso Citiz & Milk works with the Nespresso single-dose system. This type comes in sealed capsules and the brand has marketed a wide variety of types of coffee , in addition to other beverages, such as tea.
Its support allows us to use two different types of cups . The smallest to serve espressos and a somewhat larger one for coffee with milk.
It also incorporates the so-called a utensil called aeroccino , a milk frother perfect for making cappuccinos .
Like other Nespresso it also incorporates a Flow Stop system , which makes it easy for us to automatically control the amount of drink we want. The capsule storage also stands out, where we can store up to 10 of them.
Finally, it highlights its automatic shutdown function, which turns off the machine after half an hour of inactivity.
The negative point that I have been able to find is its water tank. It fits a liter and can be somewhat short depending on the occasion.
If you like the Nespresso system and its great variety of capsules and, in addition, you want to enjoy some very good cappuccinos, this may be your model. Aeroccino is very useful to obtain that foam that we like so much in coffee.
- Its award-winning design
- The Flow Stop system to control the quantity
- Aeroccino milk frother
- The water tank is a little small
- It takes up a little more space than other models
5. Philips HD7857 / 20 – A great cappuccino at home
The Phillips HD7857 / 20 is a kind of younger sister to the previously reviewed Senseo Latte Duo. From the outset it shows in its size, almost half. But, although there is some small detail that it does not include, it does incorporate some of the most interesting features of that one.
Among these shared characteristics we find the milk treatment system , with the cappuccino maker tube that allows us to make various types of drinks that include milk in a simple and simple way.
The way to use it is the same: you put the tube in a milk jug, we press the button for the desired drink and you just have to wait for the machine to do its job. Coffee and milk already frothed and creamy , will appear in our cup. Ready to drink.
Of course, it does not include all the types that the previous one included, but it does include Cappuccino and Café Latte . In short, enough to enjoy this coffee maker.
On the other hand, it also incorporates the automatic shutdown and the adjustable cup holder, so that we can use several different sizes.
The negative point that we can attribute to this model is the size of the water tank. Its capacity is one liter and, especially considering that it prepares cappuccinos and lattes, it can come up short.
If you are looking to prepare good recipes that include milk, such as cappuccinos or lattes, this machine may be perfect for you. In addition, it is smaller than its previously mentioned older sister, which is good if the kitchen is small.
- Your system for preparing drinks with milk
- It is quite simple to use
- The semi-automatic cleaning mode available
- The water tank falls a little short
- Does not include automatic shutdown function
How single-dose coffee machines work
As its name suggests, this type of machine works with small amounts of coffee presented in capsules or another type of format. Each of these, give to prepare a single coffee, keeping thanks to its sealing all the freshness and aroma of the product.
One of the great advantages of this type of coffee maker is the ease of use. The only thing we have to do is fill the tank with water, place the pod in the place prepared for it and, then, press the button so that the steam pressure makes the water flow through the coffee and fall into the cup already prepared. Normally in a few seconds we will get our drink.
There are different types of monodose. Practically every brand has commercialized its system, from the Nespresso to the Senseo, although lately some compatible ones are appearing that allow not having to resort to the official ones.
Advantages of single-dose coffee machines
- They are very easy to use
- They offer more and more functionalities
- In a few seconds we get our coffee very hot and to our liking
Best single-dose coffee brands
If there is a type of coffee maker that has experienced a huge rise in popularity and sales in recent times, those are the single doses.
Senseo coffee machines
Senseo combines in its coffee machines the quality of the machines manufactured by the Dutch company Philips, with the use of Marcilla coffee, one of the best known on the market. In his case, the single-dose that he uses did not come in capsule form, but used a kind of soft sachets in which the product was introduced. One of the advantages of these machines is that they admit some compatible options, so we find more variety when buying our coffee. The coffee machines of this brand had been one of the best-selling in part of Europe and are managing to open a gap in Spain.
Philips coffee machines
Founded in 1891, the Dutch Philips is one of the most recognized companies worldwide for its image and sound related products. But, in addition to that department, it also markets a wide range of small household appliances, all with the company’s proven quality guarantee. One of its hallmarks is the continuous research that allows new technologies to be applied to its products and its single-dose coffee machines are no exception. Their design and ease of cleaning make them highly recommended.
Krups coffee machines
When we are looking for a coffee machine that works with Nespresso or Dolce Gusto, it can sometimes confuse us that the brand of the machine is the same, but it is not strange. The German brand Krups manufactures devices for these two coffee giants in capsules, offering a wide range of models. We will be able to find from the simplest, to some with high performance. It is just a matter of doing a little research and acquiring the one that best suits us. In addition, one of the aspects that this brand usually likes is the attractive design that they have incorporated into their coffee machines.
Buying guide for the best single-dose coffee machine on the market
What is a single-dose coffee maker?
It is a kitchen utensil that allows you to prepare coffee as a hot drink. It is important to know that the first coffee making devices appeared in the early 19th century when coffee was mixed directly with boiling water.
There are basically two ways to prepare coffee at home: one is by drip or evaporation without having more pressure than the natural water when boiling as in drip and Italian coffee machines, respectively, and by pressure (espresso coffee machines and espresso coffee machine) monodose). It should be noted that the difference between one process and the other is directly related to the flavor and aroma that the coffee machine is capable of emitting. Another difference is that those allow several people to serve coffee, while the espresso machines usually admit only one or two preparations at a time.
Parts of a capsule coffee machines
They are intuitive devices, these coffee machines are very practical and easy to use, they work with electricity and have the following elements:
- A removable water tank.
- An external ABS plastic structure, with different designs depending on the manufacturer.
- A thermo block preheating system.
- A high pressure pump (up to 19 bar) and automatic function with illuminated buttons to program the amount of coffee in the cup.
- A tray warms cups for several cups of espresso coffee.
What type of coffee can be prepared with single-dose coffee machines?
In the market there are several models that have an application purpose, which are very useful if you want a great variety in terms of the results of your coffee, since you can prepare many types according to the model.
How to clean the capsule coffee machines?
The performance of your coffee maker depends on you. The care that you give to these equipment and how often you clean it will determine its durability and the taste of your coffee, so for you to continue having the best result we teach you how to clean them correctly:
- Remove the capsule: the capsules in these coffee machines can be discarded automatically by the same team or, on the contrary, manually, if so, remove the last used capsule very carefully or make sure that the coffee maker has already done so.
- Mix the cleaner: to properly clean your coffee maker you can choose to use homemade methods, although it is not recommended since it can damage the equipment, so it is better to use a descaler, just mix it with water and put it in the machine tank.
- Descaling mode: These coffee machines generally have a smart option that allows them to do it almost automatically, you just have to locate the two buttons or the only one that you have corresponding to this descaling option and then press it.
- Wait for the liquid to circulate: after that, let the coffee maker begin to do its work, since all the liquid will begin to circulate inside the machine to wash it quickly, properly, delicately and also simply.
- Time to empty: after the previous process and, finally, it’s time to drain the rest of the liquid from the coffee machine and empty the entire container, then rinse it with water only, dry it and put it in its place again, and that’s it.
Benefits of using a single-dose coffee machine
The coffee machines that have this modality tend to be very practical when carrying out the task of making coffee, offering a series of benefits to all lovers of good coffee, they are the following:
- Various flavors of preparation, this is a main benefit of using these coffee machines is the great variety that you can find in the coffee capsule market with all the flavors and intensities you can imagine, one for each taste.
- They are practical and very intuitive utensils and the best thing is that it gives you the most pleasant flavor as a result in very few seconds.
- They require little effort, they are very easy to use, they do not require a lot of time or effort, so you will not spend hours stuck in the kitchen trying to make coffee, otherwise it will not be a tedious but pleasant work.
- Ease of cleaning, the mechanism that these coffee machines use is very common and not at all difficult, which allows you to save the task of having to clean your device for hours since it does it semi-automatically, although it varies depending on the model.
How to use a coffee capsule machine?
Once you bought your single-dose coffee maker, you are curious to know how it is used. Next, we will indicate how you should use these devices, so that you can prepare delicious drinks such as coffee and other derivatives.
- Check the instruction manual of your single-dose coffee maker, although all these equipment work similarly, it is important that you read the user manual so that you know its parts and operation, as well as other additional features. Therefore, take the time to review the instruction guide for your coffee maker to make it easier to handle.
- Add water to the container of the coffee maker, proceed to put water according to the capacity of the tank of the coffee maker. In almost all single-serve coffee machine models, the container is usually located at the rear of the coffee machine. Proceed to uncover it and add the maximum amount of water indicated.
- Connect the power cable to the outlet and turn on, once you have placed the water in the container, plug the power cable into the respective outlet. Then turn on the coffee maker and you can see that there may be two LED lights or two flashing buttons. Wait approximately 15 to 20 seconds until these lights come on, indicating that the coffee maker is ready to operate. It should be noted that, on other models, when the coffee maker is turned on, a red light is indicated and after a few seconds it changes to green, indicating that it is ready to prepare drinks.
- Place the coffee capsule in the respective compartment, once the coffee maker is connected, or in the standby position, place the coffee capsule or some other drink such as milk or chocolate in the corresponding behavior that is usually found at the top. To do this, lift the lid and place the coffee capsule as indicated in the user manual. Then close the lid of the capsule compartment.
- Prepare a simple coffee, after having placed the capsule and having verified that the water tank is full, place a cup of your choice on the cup tray, select the button where it indicates to make coffee, then click and wait the appropriate time until the coffee maker to absorb the water necessary for preparing the coffee. Then remove the used capsule leaving the behavior for capsules free. Some models have used capsule containers that automatically drop there once the capsule is finished using. For this, the coffee maker has an indicator showing that the capacity of used capsules has been reached, therefore, it removes the used capsules from the container to leave it free.
- If you want to prepare a mixed drink. In case you want to make a coffee with milk, a hot chocolate or any other derived from coffee that requires two or more ingredients, for this you must use two or more capsules. For example, if you want to make a hot chocolate, place a cup on the cup tray, then place a milk capsule and prepare it in the same way as a simple coffee, then remove the used milk capsule and proceed to place the chocolate capsule, performing the same procedure.
How many coffees come out of one capsule?
Coffee capsules are single-dose, which means that a cup of coffee can be made with each capsule.
How many times can I use a coffee capsule?
Coffee capsules are just the right amount for a cup of coffee, therefore they can be used only once. However, there are people who seek to use the capsules more than once, it is not recommended to do this, it would be as if you were brewing coffee again with a used coffee bean. What comes out is definitely not coffee. In addition to this, you run the risk of damaging the single-dose coffee maker.
How are the coffee capsules stored?
It should be noted that the capsules are hermetic and last longer. However, it is always convenient to store them in a cool and dry place.
How long do coffee capsules last?
The coffee capsules last a long time thanks to their hermetic closure. But don’t consume them after their expiration date.
Are all capsules compatible with all coffee machines?
This is usually one of the most common question marks of coffee capsules. And the answer is no. Therefore, you should make sure to buy the capsules that are compatible with your model and brand of coffee maker.
Are coffee capsules dangerous for health?
If you have a normal consumption, the coffee capsules are not dangerous for your health. It is evident that all excess consumption can be harmful to health. Various studies indicate that you should not consume more than 4 or 5 large cups of coffee per day to avoid excess caffeine.
One of the aspects to take into account when buying a coffee maker of this type is if there are compatible pods apart from the official one of the brand. This will expand our options when it comes to having a coffee, since we will not have to stick to a single possibility. Nowadays, there is an increasing offer of compatible products, but it is good to verify it when it comes to getting the machine.
Accessories that includes the coffee maker
Given the peculiarities of this type of coffee maker, they are not usually those that include more accessories. In any case we can name a couple of them that can be interesting if you want to make recipes with milk. The first is the steamer, perfect for making creamier cappuccinos. The second, the milk heater, with which you will be able to have the drink at the desired temperature without having to heat the dairy separately.